Re: [AMBER] best Generalized Born solvation model for intrinsically disordered peptides

From: Hai Nguyen <nhai.qn.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 15:48:04 -0400

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 8:03 AM, Thomas Evangelidis <tevang3.gmail.com>wrote:

> AMBER12SB. As stated in the AmberTools13 manual (I may have read it
> elsewhere too) that's the only ff that can be used with igb 8.

I disagree with this information. Technically, you can use igb=8 with any
desired force field. Our work used wildly used ff99SB force field with
igb=8 and got nearly quantitative agreement between simulation and
experiment for our tested small protein (TC5B and HP5F). In the past,
people used a specific combination of force field and solvent model, like
ff96 + igb5, to seek for error cancellation. However, this kind of
cancellation should be avoided by using more accurate force field and
solvent model.

Anyway, how long is your simulation? In our test cases, we also have
quantitative agreement between gb8 and TIP3P data for unstructured Ala10
system or helical system like HP1 peptide. For a small system like yours, I
suggest to use REMD to perform extensive sampling since the structure might
stuck in local minimum in microsecond time scale in regular MD simulation.
You can do further by running explicit solvent simulation to compare.

For igb7, this model just doesn't "like" any folded structure, so you
should expect to get lots of unstructured conformation. However, this does
not mean it will give you the correct answer.

Hai Nguyen