Re: [AMBER] RED: charge equivalencing with intramolecular charge constraints?

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:45:24 +0200

Dear Brian,

> Aha, that makes sense. The atoms intended to be equivalent are in fact two
> methoxy groups. We can probably move this off list now that I know this is
> a "tricky" use of RED.

This is not a tricky 'use of RED': this is how was implemented the
default RESP charge fitting procedure to limit the number of
constraints and avoid too large increase of the RRMS value.

In general when a CH2 or CH3 group is involved in a constraint
(INTRA-MCC or INTER-MCC) the flag associated is often R for 'Remove';
in this case the charges of the atoms involved in the constraint are
frozen in the 2nd RESP fitting stage so not equivalenced; but the
corresponding atoms are removed ('R' flag) from the FF library because
not required for MD simulations; thus the problem of the absence of
charge equivalencing for CH2 and CH3 groups is avoided/hidden in this
case.

In your case you used the K (Keep) flag, this means you want to keep
the corresponding atoms in the FF lib for MD simulation; so the
charges are not equivalenced in the 2nd RESP stage. This is 'normal'...

Solution 1: repeat the constraint in the 2nd RESP input with an
additional degradation of the RRMS value; i.e. use INTRA-MCC2
implemented in R.E.D. Python (instead of INTRA-MCC1; i.e. INTRA-MCC in
R.E.D. Perl)

Solution 2: find another way to set up your fitting procedure using
R.E.D. Perl.
-> I do not understand why you want to constraint these 10 atoms to
the -0.2882 value - another approach should be possible...

regards, Francois