Re: [AMBER] Density saturates at 0.97 after NPT

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:35:38 -0700

Hi Sourav,

Note that your system is NOT pure water - it is in fact a VERY high
concentration solution of protein - thus it is perfectly reasonable to
expect that the density would not be that of water. Whether the resulting
density should be more or less that of pure water is very dependent on the
nature of your protein. I'm not entirely sure if there are specific rules
for this - related to hydrophobicity for example, or whether predominantly
alpha helix proteins are more dense than beta sheet proteins or vice
versa. Others on the list may be able to comment more.

I'd also note that the density for pure water of 1.0 g/cm^3 is for water
at it's triple point of 277K. As you raise the temperature above this so
the density decreases.

All the best
Ross