[AMBER] PARALLEL PERFORMANCE OF AMBER12

From: Uday Midya <umidya.iitkgp.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 10:23:16 +0530

Hi
I have installed the AMBER12 (serial and parallel) in our rock cluster
with the InfiniBand communication among the nodes. Prodedure was as
follows.

tar xvf AmberTools12.tar.bz2
tar xvfj Amber12.tar.bz2
export AMBERHOME=/home/myname/amber12 (added to .bashrc file)
$AMBERHOME/bin added to PATH
cd $AMBERHOME
./configure gnu
make install
make test

At this point no failure massage.

./configure -mpi gnu
make install
export DO_PARALLEL=”mpirun -np 8”
make test

No failure massage here.

But when I try to benchmark the speed of samder.MPI, following are found

#atom #step #cpu (thread) #node time

84394 60000 16 2 04:00:00
    do do 32 2
09:20:00
    do do 16 1
03:36:00
    do do 32 4
05:14:00

It seem that when I use multiple nodes with more cpus the speed decreases.
Can any one tell me why this is happening? Following is the betails of the
cluster.

Proccessor: 64-bit Intel Xeon processor.
#proccessor/node =2
#core/proccessor =8
#thread/core =2
total #thread/node=32