[AMBER] CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES and real instance IDs

From: Meij, Henk <hmeij.wesleyan.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 18:47:39 +0000

The list archive has helped me puzzle the problem out of why Amber always thinks the instance ID of any GPU is 0. However it would be nice for users to know the actual instance ID so they can monitor utilization % while their programs are running.

That can be done by setting CUDA_VISIBLE_DEVICES inside the wrapper, and just before the program starts echo to STDOUT the actual instance ID. I have done that with Lava/Amber12 and it is document here:

https://dokuwiki.wesleyan.edu/doku.php?id=cluster:119

At the start of the STDOUT report users may now observe nodeName:gpuID

GPU allocation instance n36:2

-Henk