Re: [AMBER] ptraj is not splitting LES trajectory

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:20:19 -0600

Hi,

It seems that the description of 'trajout les split' in the manual is
not correct. It states:

'The “split” key-word will output N separate trajectories, one for
each LES group...'

However, what it actually does is output a single trajectory where the
LES groups have been separated by frame. So say for example you had 3
copies of an LES group (call them a, b, c) in an LES trajectory with 5
frames. After the 'trajout les split' command you will have a
trajectory with 15 frames, where each LES frame has been split by
group, like so:

1a 1b 1c 2a 2b 2c 3a 3b 3c 4a 4b 4c 5a 5b 5c

The new trajectory can be processed with your original (i.e. non-LES)
topology. You can verify this visually using your favorite MD
visualization software. You can use start/stop/offset 'trajin' args to
access only a specific group; for example, to process only group 'b'
in the above example you could use 'trajin <filename> 2 14 3'.

One more note: I would be very cautious in doing *any* actions on the
LES trajectory before it is split or averaged. For example, in your
original script you have 'center .CA origin mass'. If in your LES
region you have CA atoms this will skew the centering calculation
since there are multiple copies of the atoms in that region. It's
probably best to first split or average, then do any actions.

Hope this helps,

-Dan

PS - I am in the process of adding the LES functionality to cpptraj,
where it can be processed as an ensemble (similar to the way REMD
trajectories can currently be processed as an ensemble). This should
make splitting and analyzing LES trajectories simpler. However, this
will require lots of testing and verification before release so
unfortunately I don't have a timetable for this functionality yet.