[AMBER] TI with ifsc==2 (reposted)

From: Kepa K. Burusco <kekoburgo.yahoo.es>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 16:01:06 +0100 (BST)

[9-VIII-2013]

Hi everybody,

Sorry for reposting again this message (originally submitted on 25-VII-2013) but I am still curious about my question and I did not get any answer during the last days.

I am reading the subroutine
runmd() in file runmd.f in amber11 code and I have found in the first
Soft Core code in section "MAKE A FIRST DYNAMIC STEP" the next
"if-statement":

if ( ifsc == 2)
    ! If this is a perturb to nothing run, scale forces and calculate dvdl
    call sc_nomix_frc(f,nr3,ener)
end if

I have been reading amber11 manual and I have found that flag ifsc (in pg. 102) has only two possible values:

 = 0 SC potentials are not used (Default)

 = 1 SC potentials are used

but nothing about ifsc = 2.

 was wondering, what does it mean "a perturb to nothing"? Is that the
case when you have a solute in a solvent box and you make it dissappear
according to lambda to calculate the hydration free energies?

run a hydration free energy calculation one month ago and I just
selected the ifsc=1 flag with the appropriate topology and coordinate
files for the starting and ending states. Is that right?

Thank you for your help!!

Kepa K.