Re: [AMBER] Distance based mask for qmmask

From: Andreas Goetz <agoetz.sdsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2013 20:34:15 -0700

Jason's interpretation is correct, the adaptive QM/MM code is currently available to developers collaborating with us. I had planned to release it with AMBER 12 but did not have time to properly test the code.

I would strongly advice against using a step function at the QM/MM boundary. In the very least one should use a switching function for the forces as in Rode's "hot spot" method (Chem Phys 211, 1996, 313-323). Although it is possible to keep simulations somewhat under control with Langevin dynamics and a very high collision frequency (large value of gamma_ln) and still obtain structural properties (for example RDFs of ions in water) that are comparable to adQM/MM simulations with Bulo's DAS method. See for example my talk from the 2011 ACS spring meeting http://awgoetz.de/data/agoetz_adqmmm_acs-anaheim_2011.pdf (slides 18/19 for step function, slides 28/29 for adQM/MM).

All the best,
Andy

--
Dr. Andreas W. Goetz