Re: [AMBER] Anyone running machines with Quad GPU setups

From: ET <sketchfoot.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 18:10:18 +0100

Hi,

Thanks v much for you specs Divi. :) I've been debating with myself as my
board as it looks good and has a very nice spec. From what I've read, the
only problems with it is the higher than average power draw.

.Scott. I believe the board runs in x8/x8/x8/x8 for a 4 GPU config - so
effectively PCI2 2.0 x16 rate. Would this present any problems, if you
were running the serial GPU code, From what I read on the AMBER GPU
hardware page, this is more important for the parallel GPU code? Though, I
imagine having 4x serial ruins going simultaneously would also tax the GPU
to CPU interface, though how much I'm not sure.

Apparently, if you are going intel, you can only acheive PCIe 3.0 using at
least a Sandy Bridge-E or ivy bridge CPU in a socket 155. Please correct me
if I have understood this incorrectly though.

http://www.enthusiastpc.net/articles/00003/3.aspx

A socket 2011 proposition would be the Asus P9X79-E WES which has 2x PLX
PEX 8747 chips so can run at x16/x16/x16/x16 with four GPUs

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P9X79E_WS/#specifications

However, I'm unsure whether this is overkill for running 4xGPUs doing AMBER
serial code.

What do you guys think?

br,