[AMBER] adding Mg2+ as Counter ion for MD simulations

From: Pranjal Mahanta <pranjaliisc.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 00:04:30 +0530

I am very new in Molecular Dynamics Simulation and hence in Amber MD
package.

I have a few basic doubts and really need your suggestions.

I want to start a MD simulation of a protein and its mutant.

(a).The wild type protein has a Mg2+ binding site (have seen in the crystal
structure) *in the C-terminal end* and biochemical studies shown the
importance of Mg2+ in both activity and stability. Also *crystallization
condition* contains MgCl2.

(b) In the mutant (*N-terminal mutation*) structure, Mg2+ was not observed
in the structures although Mg2+ was present in the crystallization
conditions. The mutant is less stable than the wild type protein.

Is it possible to look the by MD simulation , why Mg2+ is not bound in the
mutant structure? Since mutation site is different from the Mg2+ binding
site.

(c) Can I add counter-ions Mg2+ ions together with Na+ ion for charge
neutralization for better mimic of experimental conditions?

with regards,

Pranjal