Re: [AMBER] qmcut in QM/MM simulation with AMBER/GAUSSIAN

From: Eric Berquist <erb74.pitt.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 10:01:52 -0400

Hi Tamara,

2. For the template file to be read, 'use_template = 1' needs to be
specified in the &gau input block.

1. For the QM/MM cutoff being too large, the same rules apply as for the
classical electrostatic cutoff; it can't be larger than half the box
length, otherwise you'll have overlapping images. Right now you can see
that the largest sphere that will fit inside the box is 34.633 Angstroms,
but you can't actually set your cutoff to that value since the size of the
QM region needs to be taken into account. It's something you'll have to
calculate or play around with.

As for the "Error with system call (executing Gaussian)", a quick peek at
the code shows that Amber is having trouble calling Gaussian with the input
file. Are you sure that it's in your path and not aliased in a strange way?

A separate note about your template file; you're calling 'opt', but you
don't need to, since Amber takes the forces that Gaussian calculates and
uses those in its internal minimizer. The geometry optimization is taken
care of completely by Amber.

Hope this helps.

Eric