[AMBER] Can RMSF be at least 2 times larger than RMSD?

From: Yip Yew Mun <yipy0005.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 23:57:07 +0800

Hi,

Recently, one of my lab mates ran an MD simulation and she generated both RMSD and RMSF graphs (nobox). We then observed that while the RMSD value is ~ 3 Angstroms, the RMSF reached as high as 10 Angstroms and as low as 5 Angstroms. Therefore, I'm wondering if it's possible to have RMSF values larger than RMSD values, because logically if a large RMSF is observed, it should be captured in RMSD since it's calculated over time. What do you guys think?

Regards
Yip Yew Mun
Chemistry and Biological Chemistry
School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences
Nanyang Technological University