Re: [AMBER] CUDA install fails due to undefined netcdf definitions

From: Matthew Wampole <Matthew.Wampole.jefferson.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 20:25:17 +0000

Hi Dan,

I've attached a log of libnetcdf.a from the command you gave. Everything looks to be in order for libnetcdf.a that is contained in amber12. Branching from your idea, I searched my computer for other copies of libnetcdf.a and found one in my usr/lib directory installed with the libnetcdf developer kit. That version of libnetcdf.a does not contain nf90 routines so I'm wondering if AMBER could be using the Synaptic installed version instead of the one built by AMBER.

I removed the developer kit of libnetcdf from my Ubuntu machine and was able to install like normal without removing the bintraj functionality. I've had the developer kit installed for a while for other programs and this is the first time this has occurred, curious but it provided a temporary fix.

~Matt

-------------

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:28 AM, Matthew Wampole
<Matthew.Wampole.jefferson.edu> wrote:
> bintraj.F90:(.text+0x332): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_put_var_1d_eightbytereal'
> bintraj.F90:(.text+0x35e): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_sync'
> bintraj.F90:(.text+0x4ba): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_put_var_1d_eightbytereal'
> bintraj.F90:(.text+0x4cf): undefined reference to `__netcdf_MOD_nf90_sync'

These errors make me think that for some reason the NetCDF install
process got messed up and the fortran 90 netcdf routines didn't make
it into the netcdf library. I would say first check out your
libnetcdf.a and make sure the nf90 symbols are in there:

nm $AMBERHOME/lib/libnetcdf.a | grep nf90

If nothing is output from this then for some reason the netcdf install
went wrong. I remember seeing this happen once on one of my machines a
while back but I couldn't track down why. I think the way I fixed it
was by going into the netcdf directory manually and doing a 'make
uninstall' or 'make distclean', then 'make install', e.g.

cd $AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src/netcdf/src
make uninstall
make install

If you still do not have nf90 symbols in your libnetcdf.a after this
then there may be a larger problem.

-Dan

--
Daniel R. Roe, PhD