[AMBER] Calculating harmonic potential in umbrella sampling

From: Sajeewa Pemasinghe <sajeewasp.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:25:31 -0400

Hi all,

I have a question on umbrella sampling. The problem is in the calculation
of "Vi(Xj)" i.e. the harmonic potential of window # i in bin # j.
 There may be more than one point in bin # j that belong to window # i. In
such a case

1) do we calculate the harmonic potentials for each point in bin # j with
respect to the center of the window # i and then add them together and call
it "Vi(Xj)"

 OR

2) do we calculate the harmonic potential for the center of the bin # j
with respect to the center of the window # i and call it "Vi(Xj)".

I think the former is better. I would like to have your expert opinion on
this matter.

Thank you very much

Sajeewa Dewage