Re: [AMBER] iron-sulfur parameterization

From: Sergio R Aragon <aragons.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 20:16:17 +0000

Hello Prof. Case,

I am aware that you are an expert on iron sulfur complexes found in proteins and have located one of your classic papers on the issue (Noddleman & Case, Adv. Inorg. Chem. 38:423-458 (1992)) but our library does not have a copy of this series (hard to believe, I know). Do you by any chance have a reprint you could share?

I have been studying Xanthine oxidase (1FIQ), a protein that contains an Fe2S2 group, one of the smaller of such clusters. I am quite well aware of the need to revise the parameters for the CYS residues that connect this cluster to the protein, but it is not clear to me how to do this. If I carry out an Oniom calculation in g09, I can include these CYS residues and eventually perhaps get ESP charges for the whole set of atoms that include the cluster and the CYS residues. However such a procedure does not guarantee that the partial charges are consistent with those assigned to the rest of the protein. I am hoping that by reading your paper I can have a handle on the charge state to assign to this smaller iron-sulfur cluster, as that is not clear to me either. I have no experience in the full development of force field parameters yet - it seems that this problem requires me to learn about that.

If you have any material that is relevant to this iron-sulfur complex that you could share, or specific suggestions, I would be much appreciative.

Thanks,

Sergio Aragon
Professor of Chemistry
San Francisco State University