Re: [AMBER] Cu+2 problem

From: FyD <fyd.q4md-forcefieldtools.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 08:24:27 +0200

Hi Francesco,

Sorry for not responding...

> Beg pardon for the intrusion. Suppose you have modeled with DTF a
> tetrahedral complex of Zn(II), two aspartates, one HIS, and one H2O. The
> tetrahedral geometry is nearly perfect as it comes out from LEaP. However,
> on MD, Zn(II) and the three CA/O/O of the aas lie on a plane, with apical
> H2O. What would you conclude?

I would first carefully check if the topology generated by LEaP is
correct; I already observed a strange topology generated by LEaP once
in a similar case (a bug?); i.e. look at the prmtop/prmcrd files in
vmd for instance (removing the TIP3P molecules, but not the H2O-Zn one).

You can use 'rdparm prmtop' to read the prmtop file; then type bond,
angle or dihedral to read the FF parameters.

then, I would carefully check if the frcmod you generated is correct;
thus, are you sure the COO(-) groups bear the same atom types? for
instance I am not sure the frcmod provided below is advisable.

Finally, you could consider two cases (i) one with bonded parameters
and a non-integer partial charge for Zn2+ and (ii) without bonded
parameters and an integer (+2) charge value for Zn2+.
See http://q4md-forcefieldtools.org/REDDB/Project/F-88/

> The DFT calculations were fine under every respect and the "bond" commands
> with LEaP were appropriate.

in the case (i) and if you use the mol2 file format output from R.E.D.
Server; you should not need to use the 'bond' command; the bonds
should be already defined.

> Looking at the distorted geometry with VMD, the
> bonds created with the "bond" commad are not seen, while the interatomic
> distances are correct for the required bonds, even after long MD
> simulation. I am not familiar enough with prm/crd to check there for bonds
> (which is an easy affair - for me - with psf)

looking at bonds in vmd is highly depend on the file format used;
better looking at the prmtop + boxcrd file; better not using the PDB
file format!

finally you could imagine to build a molecular system of the active
site only (i.e. without the protein; only with 3 dipeptides) and run
it in MD. do you get a similar deformation?

I hope this helps...

regards, Francois