Re: [AMBER] experiences with EVGA GTX TITAN Superclocked - memtestG80 - UNDERclocking in Linux ?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2013 13:41:46 -0700

Your Titan setup is hosed. Your results were not 100% deterministic for
the same inputs.

Energies + Forces use a different subroutine than just Forces hence the
ntpr dependence. Hence changing ntpr effectively is changing the input.

It's 100% ironclad reproducibility that matters and you demonstrated it's
not happening.
On May 29, 2013 1:30 PM, "Marek Maly" <marek.maly.ujep.cz> wrote:

> [...]
> Actually I am working under 319.17. (and CUDA 5.0)
>
> c)
> Can you please do at least JAC_NPT, JAC_NVE, NUCLEOSOME and CELLULOSE_NVE
> tests using 100 000 steps
> (same random seed e.g. default = ig deleted from mdin if is there) twice
> to confirm 100% reproducibility on your TITAN GPU ?
>
> TO Divi:
>
> This is also my usual approach to divide whole simulation into many
> subtrajectories (in my case 0.5 ns = 250k 2fs steps) but it does not seem
> to help here it self. Can you please also do the same tests which I asked
> ET (point c) )
>

> BTW CUDA release candidate 5.5 was just released (
> https://developer.nvidia.com/**cuda-toolkit<https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-toolkit>)
> would it be reasonable idea to try compile/run pmemd.cuda with this brand
> new cuda version ?
>
> Thanks !
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Marek
>

> Dne Wed, 29 May 2013 03:44:33 +0200 Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
> napsal/-a:
>
> Hi All,
>>
>> Just an update that we will have some fixes out soon that address some
>> errors we have been noticing with simulations crashing during NPT runs. It
>> is possible that this is confusing the issue here as to whether the
>> problem is related to the GTX Titan or to a possible bug in the code. I
>> hope to have the patch released within a few days at which point it would
>> be good to repeat these tests and then hopefully we can try to track down
>> what is going on. I find it hard to believe that so many cards are faulty
>> so I suspect that there may be something funky in the code with regards to
>> GTX Titans. We'll try and get it fixed as soon as possible but for now
>> please just wait until we get the update released for AMBER 12 in a few
>> days and see if that helps at all.
>>
>> All the best
>> Ross
>>

>> On 5/28/13 5:12 PM, "Divi/GMAIL" <dvenkatlu.gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I have two TITANs in my Gigabyte workstation. I have had similar
>>> issues
>>> of NANs for some of the simulation setups. Never could figure out why the
>>> simulations failed for no reason. I tried 10, 12 ang. box sizes. same
>>> random breakdowns. Thought of returning them suspecting memory errors.
>>> But
>>> some simulations ran perfectly fine. Currently running two calculations
>>> without any problems. Both are running pretty stable for over 100ns. I
>>> suspect AMBER CUDA code may have some issues under some simulation
>>> conditions such as NPT. In general, NVT setup is more successful than
>>> NPT,
>>> in my case.
>>>
>>> These are 287426 atoms simulation on one card (9 ns/day)
>>> On other card: 129049 atom setup (20 ns/day)
>>>
>>> Both using same NVT setup. (AMBER12/INTEL-12.x
>>> compilers/CentOS-6.3/Drivers 319.17/CUDA5.0)

>>> ntx=5, irest=1, ig=-1,
>>> ntpr=1000, ntwr=10000, ntwx=10000,
>>> ntt=1, tautp=2, ntb=1, ntp=0, ntc=2, ntf=2,