Re: [AMBER] experiences with EVGA GTX TITAN Superclocked - memtestG80 - UNDERclocking in Linux ?

From: Scott Le Grand <varelse2005.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 13:46:30 -0700

You can play Russian Roulette a whole bunch of rounds without blowing your
head off.

Similarly, when you have a GPU that occasionally flips a bit the wrong way,
most of the time it will be some low order perturbation to the coordinates
that does little more than make the trajectory nondeterministic... Except
when it doesn't...

You can't even detect this kind of misbehavior in GROMACS, ACEMD, or NAMD
because *none* of them (to my knowledge) are capable of producing
deterministic output at production-level performance.

Titans and 680s are consumer cards. I love them to death, but if you're
going to do production work with them, you need to qual them thoroughly
before proceeding or you need to pay up and use Teslas instead. I'd still
build a cluster with Titans myself, but I'd ruthlessly RMA them until I got
satisfaction if they couldn't pass a test consisting of running an AMBER
simulation for 100K iterations without either crashing or producing a
nondeterministic result. The customer is always right.