[AMBER] Free energy calculation of pyridine

From: Bishnu Thapa <bishnut.wayne.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 17:35:58 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I was trying to calculate free energy of deprotonation of protonated pyridine (pyridinium cation) in aqueous medium using explicit solvation model using AMBER. For this particular case, I manually made the VDW interaction of hydrogen being removed to zero and followed the AMBER tutorial A6. When I ran the thermodynamic integration calculations in gas phase and in aqueous phase, I came up with the free energy change more than 20 kcal/mol which in higher than the expected value. I know, the tutorial explained the relative pKa calculation (not the absolute).
Is it possible to run the explicit solvation calculation for such system I mentioned above? If yes, what should be my input files and what factors are necessary to consider?

I have attached some of the input files that I had used for calculation. I will appreciate your help and suggestions. Thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Bishnu Thapa
Chemistry Department
Wayne State University