[AMBER] AMBER GPU Cooling/usage Question

From: ET <sketchfoot.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 13:44:08 +0100

Hi all,

I've installed AMBER GPU on several different PC's with varying case
designs. Generally I've noticed that when the GPU is under load the
temperature gets to about 76-82 degrees C depending on Case design, other
components, etc.

My questions are:

1) Has anyone managed to get their GPUs running at load at a temperature
less than 76 degrees C. I've noticed that the well ventilated cases I've
used seem to level at this temperature under load, but the difference is
that they cool back to baseline temperature v rapidly. 30-60 secs.

2) If you are running a long production run - e.g 6 repeats of a 100ns
simulation in series. Do people tend to segment the production run. I.e.
Simulate in 5ns segments, then give a "sleep" period of 5 minutes before
starting the next segment.

The logic being not to run the card under a continuous load, as I
understand the consumer grade Geforce 680s & Titans we use are not really
rated for 24/7 usage. Thus they could potentially burn out under
protracted, heavy use. On the other hand would lots of rapid heating then
cooling reduce the lifespan of the electronics, though there must be some
level of inbuilt tolerance for this.

Be interested in people's opinions.

br,