Re: [AMBER] pmemd performance on AMD 16cores x 4 (total 64 CPU cores) + 1 GPU

From: Sergio R Aragon <aragons.sfsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 19:19:20 +0000

Hello Ying,

We have a machine of this type where the GPU is a GTX-580. To demonstrate the much larger efficiency of using a GPU compared to CPU multiprocessing with amber, I asked my students to compare both methods for the protein 1AO6. Using the GTX-580 you could get about 12 ns/day for an explicit water simulation with TIP3P waters in an 8 A octahedral box using ff99SB, and the SPDP model in Amber 12. Using 12 CPU cores the performance was a factor of 100 slower. Thus, even if you use all 64 cores, the CPU performance is unuseable.

I built this machine for teaching computational chemistry methods - you need many CPU processors to give many students a chance to go simultaneous computations with g09, and other packages that don't parallelize well. But for doing MD, it is much better to have even a cheap GTX-560 card in many PC's to have many students work at the same time.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Cheers,

Sergio
SFSU