Re: [AMBER] Improper atom order

From: Reinis Danne <gam4rei.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 May 2013 11:19:40 +0300

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 10:16:20AM +0200, Karl N. Kirschner wrote:
> Hello Reinis,

Thanks for reply!

> Have you checked to see if the difference in atom sequence
> ordering for an improper have an effect on the resulting
> modeling of the improper? In other words, does it effect the
> out-of-plane bending energies?

I have not checked this, but the equilibrium structure and
dynamics of molecules should not be affected since all possible
orderings still correspond to the same plane.

The problem is that I want to check the terms Amber is
calculating by calculating energies for a snapshot of a
molecule. Improper value will be different if different atom
order is used. So I want the ordering to be consistent for
easier comparison. A workaround for this is to sort the atoms in
parameter file so that leap gets the same order every time, but
I would rather want to avoid editing forcefield data files myself.

Also, leap puts quite a lot of effort to have atoms ordered as
in the parameter file, so it would be nice that it got it right
or at least be consistent.

> It might also be helpful to the developers if you specify
> the AmberTools version and patch set you are using for
> compiling tleap. I imagine that if you have seen it with
> Glycam, then it may also be present when using other force
> fields.

I have tried it with up-to-date versions of AmberTools 11, 12
and 13. All of them have the same behaviour.

Yes, Glycam is just an example, I expect this to be a general
behaviour for leap.

Reinis