Re: [AMBER] conformational sampling in non helical RNA structures

From: Jiri Sponer <sponer.ncbr.muni.cz>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 20:16:57 +0100 (MET)

Well, yes, it is a real problem.
We sometimes do not know. If you consider the simplicity
of the force field, then even with all the refinement
efforts we cannot have a perfect force field.

We have discussed the issues little more in these
papers:

The DNA and RNA sugar-phosphate backbone emerges as the key player. An
overview of quantum-chemical, structural biology and simulation studies
Author(s): Sponer, Jiri; Mladek, Arnost; Sponer, Judit E.; et al.
Source: PHYSICAL CHEMISTRY CHEMICAL PHYSICS Volume: 14 Issue: 44
Pages: 15257-15277 DOI: 10.1039/c2cp41987d Published: 2012

Molecular dynamics simulations of G-DNA and perspectives on the simulation
of nucleic acid structures
Author(s): Sponer, Jiri; Cang, Xiaohui; Cheatham, Thomas E., III
Source: METHODS Volume: 57 Issue: 1 Pages: 25-39 DOI:
10.1016/j.ymeth.2012.04.005 Published: MAY 2012

1) I would use a long simulation (as long as possible, and multiple)
  of the native structure
as a kind of benchmark. If you see evident deviations
from the X-ray structure accumulating over the time,
then most likely the simulation is entering a phase
of force field problems.
Of course, there could be errors (and sometimes
considerable such as syn/anti bias) also in the exp.
structure and there could be also crystal packing
issues. Backbone is barely visible at 2.3 A.
So the simulation can also respond to experimental errors!!
(we have documented such cases in the past).
We are often inspecting electron densities, checking
packing, making bioinformatics analyses.

(I would be happy to know in case you see some big
problems, it could help us to better understand the
limits.)

2) Then I would make the mutated simulations.
I would assume the native and mutated systems
are affected by similar errors, so the
difference in behaviour between mutated and native simulations
could indeed by the real effect. Of course, there is no
100% guarantee of that, but it is a very plausible
interpretation. The force field description of
base pairing and stacking is quite good so the
simulation should correctly respond to base substitutions.

Best wishes, Jiri