[AMBER] residue-wise SASA calculation in CPPTRAJ

From: aneesh cna <aneeshcna.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 15:38:48 +0530

Dear Amber users,

I am trying to do residue-wise SASA calculation using 'surf' command in
cpptraj. Below is the script I used for the calculation.

trajin md3.crd

strip :WAT,:Na+

center :1-293 mass origin
image origin center

surf res25 :25&!.CA,C,O,N,H out SASA.dat
surf res64 :64&!.CA,C,O,N,H out SASA.dat
surf res65 :65&!.CA,C,O,N,H out SASA.dat
surf res68 :68&!.CA,C,O,N,H out SASA.dat
surf res69 :69&!.CA,C,O,N,H out SASA.dat

But, for few residues, calculated SASA have negative values. Later, I tried
doing residue-wise SASA for a single snapshot, using 'molsurf', 'surf'
methods implemented in cpptraj as well as using NACCESS (
http://www.bioinf.manchester.ac.uk/naccess/) also. For residue 68, 'surf'
gives -9.497, 'molsurf' gives 139.179 and NACCESS gave 0.22. Considering
all these facts, I have few queries about the residue-wise SASA calculation.

 1. Why 'surf' calculation showing negative value for SASA? what could be
the meaning of a negative SASA values?

2. Why there is a huge difference between 'surf' and 'molsurf' SASA
outputs? (-9.497 vs 139.179)

3. Which one of these values are trustable?

4. Is there a better way (or any other programs) to calculating
residue-wise SASA over the trajectories?

Waiting for you valuable reply.

Thanks in advance

Regards
Aneesh