Re: [AMBER] GTX 460 ?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 09:13:47 -0400

The GTX 460 should work, but there are no guarantees about how efficiently
(the X60 GPUs tend to have far fewer CUDA cores and less memory bandwidth).
 If the jobs continually die, it may be due to faulty hardware. The
quality control on the 'lower-end' gaming GPUs is probably worse than on
the higher end (and _far_ worse than the Telsa cards), since occasional
glitches don't matter much for gaming.

The 560 should also work, but the same warning applies.

Good luck,
Jason

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:54 AM, John Gehman <jgehman.unimelb.edu.au> wrote:

> Dear Amber Fans,
>
> Could anybody confirm whether or not the nVidia GTX 460 chipset should
> work with Amber12? It's not on the list at
> http://ambermd.org/gpus/#supported_gpus, which I presume is drawing a
> distinction between hardware revision/compute capability 2.1 vs 2.0 [e.g.
> for the GTX 465] per the guideline on that page. However, v2.1 *does*
> appear to provide double precision, and the GTX560 which *is* OK'd for
> Amber12 appears to actually be v2.1 as well (ref
> https://developer.nvidia.com/cuda-gpus).
>
> The problem is that my Amber12 jobs seem to die with no errors or
> explanation after about 30 ps on my GPU. This has happened for one of my
> runs, as well as one of the benchmark runs, which run fine (albeit slow, of
> course) on a single CPU.
>
> I am trying to ascertain whether the GPU is to blame, and if so, whether a
> GTX560 (Ti) will actually get me going, or not.
>
> Many Thanks!
> John Gehman
> University of Melbourne
>
> ==== === == = = = = = = = = = =
> John Gehman Office +61 3 8344 2417
> ARC Future Fellow Fax +61 3 9347 8189
> School of Chemistry Magnets +61 3 8344 2470
> Bio21 Institute Mobile +61 407 536
> 585
> 30 Flemington Rd jgehman.unimelb.edu.au
> Univ. of Melbourne .GehmanLab
> VIC 3010 Australia
> http://www2.chemistry.unimelb.edu.au/staff/jgehman/research/
>
> "Crooked nails hold better" (JDG, unpublished data)

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate
352-392-4032