[AMBER] PCI-E 2.0 vs 3.0 (AMD vs INTEL?)

From: Jonathan Gough <jonathan.d.gough.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 21:53:41 -0500

While doing some window shopping I noticed that the current AMD chipset
doesn't support PCI-E 3.0 x16 while Intel does. Muy understanding is this
would/does have an impact on the communication speed between the GPU and
the MOBO, but would that (or does anyone know if it does) have an effect on
the overall simulation speed (GPU-intercommunication)?

Apparently ASUS recently launched a MOBO that has an onboard chip to
compensate or cover the distance(?) such that 3.0 bandwidth is possible.
That being said I wonder if and how that might interfere with calculations.

any thoughts?
JOnathan