Re: [AMBER] Question regarding wham and umbrella sampling

From: Brian Radak <radak004.umn.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:07:00 -0500

Yes, that should be correct.

Also, a nifty recent feature in AMBER (sander only) is that you can instead
set r0 and k0 in the DISANG file. This will automatically set r1-r4 and
rk2/rk3 to be appropriate for a harmonic potential when considering the
coordinate type (i.e. distance, torsion, etc.)

Regards,
Brian

On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 3:09 PM, Fabrício Bracht <bracht.iq.ufrj.br> wrote:

> Hello all. I am trying to calculate the pmf from pulling two protein units
> apart from each other. For this I am using the umbrella sampling method to
> slowly pull the structures apart. I have performed 35 separate simulations,
> each with a different equilibrium distance between the two COM of the two
> protein units, in which I separate the two structures 1 angstrom at a time.
> In other words. For each dist.RST file the r2 and r3 values are the same
> and for every subsequent simulation this value increase by 1 angstrom. I
> have started with 9 angstroms and ended at 33. The force constants, k2 and
> k3, were set to 60 .
> I have set r1 = -30 and r4 = 60 so that the bottom of the potential was
> centred at 15. Is this correct? This means that r2 = r3 = distance that
> changes from 9 to 33.
> Now my doubt lies in how should I calculate the PMF using WHAM. I have
> followed the amber tutorial A17, and as far as I could understand, the wham
> program assumes that the biasing potential is of the form V = 1/2k(x - x0
> )^2 . The biasing potential described in amber manual (page 204) is k2 (R -
> r2 )^2. Is this the correct potential to consider? If yes, does this mean
> that the force constant I should tell the wham program to use is 120 and
> not 60?
> Thank you
> Fabrício

================================ Current Address =======================
 Brian Radak                                             :     BioMaPS
Institute for Quantitative Biology
 PhD candidate - York Research Group       :     Rutgers, The State
University of New Jersey
 University of Minnesota - Twin Cities         :     Center for Integrative
Proteomics Room 308
 Graduate Program in Chemical Physics     :     174 Frelinghuysen Road,
 Department of Chemistry                          :     Piscataway, NJ
08854-8066
 radak004.umn.edu                                 :
radakb.biomaps.rutgers.edu