Re: [AMBER] Calculating Hydrogen bond energy

From: Joseph Maxwell <jemaxwell2.hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 06:39:20 -0800

List/DAC,

What I would have a problem with is if one can consider the AMBER force
field as having the fidelity to accurately evaluate the energy
contribution of few H-bonds in the system relative to the overall Delta E..
Such a value calculated manually would be highly idealized and would not
be amenable to force field calculations.

The H-bond shows a great deal of variations.
The total energies can vary from 1-6 kcals/mole
There are associated blue and red IR shifts
There is a covalent component [Donor (D) ----Hydrogen (H)] and an
electrostatic component [Hydrogen (H)-----Acceptor(A)]
D ------ H --------A is not always 180 deg
H bonds can be bifuricated
  The distance dependencies
      1/r charge-charge electrostatic
      1/r^2 charge-dipole ,, ,,
      1/r^3 dipole-dipole ,, ,,
      1/r^4 dipole-quadrupole polarization
      1/r^6 van der Waals dispersion
And there are many other things to consider in the evaluation.

JM