Re: [AMBER] Can we model the solvent implicitly outside a solvent shell (irregular shape)

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 08:03:19 -0500

On Fri, Feb 01, 2013, Debayan Chakraborty wrote:

> I am simulating a G quadruplex system which
> requires the presence of alkali metal ions and water molecules for
> stabilizing the tetrad core. What I am really interested is in exploring
> the energy landscape of the system. So I cannot include too many water
> molecules explicitly as I am limited by computer power.

Are you sure that you cannot afford straightforward explicit solvent
calculations in a periodic box? Because of the efficiencies of the PME
method, these are often faster than GB calculations, especially for larger
systems.

Amber does not have a good implementation of mixed explicit/implicit solvent
models (e.g. with a shell of explcit waters). I think such calculations are
rather rare, especially for nucleic acids (with any software package).

Consider trying to dig up funds to obtain Amber12 and a GPU card. You might
compare that (probably about $1000 USD) to the value of the time you would
spend implementing a difficult method in an old version of Amber.

...good luck...dac