Re: [AMBER] FW: EGB discrepancy between sander and pmemd

From: Duke, Robert E Jr <rduke.email.unc.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 20:22:58 +0000

Hi Eng,

Also please note a subtle difference between pmemd and sander in terms of how each defines molecules by default. Sander just takes what is in the prmtop, in terms of molecule definitions, as the truth, and uses this information in things like the virial (pressure) calculations. PMEMD, on the other hand, actually does a check for covalent bonds in any putative "molecules", and at least in the past, it was common for a "molecule" in a prmtop to include a reduced disulfide (ie., thiols). Thus, if a disulfide is not joined between two subunits, pmemd may well see it as two separate molecules. The reasons for this different behavior in pmemd have to do mostly with complexities introduced in force fields that use extra points which typically are positioned in a frame defined by other atoms. The pmemd default behavior MAY be overridden to match sander behavior exactly by use of the pmemd-specific no_intermolecular_bonds switch. This is generally not something that would have much effect at all on pressure unl
ess such a molecule was numerous in the system (like solvent, which seems sort of unlikely). On the other hand, it is conceivable that there could be a bit of strain introduced across a disulfide by assuming two separate molecules in an ntp calculation, depending on exact geometries, as pressure rescaling is done based on molecular center-of-mass (my suspicion - very small impact, but I have never checked). The discussion of the relevant parameter is in the Amber manuals (starting with Amber 10, when the option was introduced to support a high performance implementation of force fields with extra points). The manual entry is as follows:

no_intermolecular_bonds In &cntrl. New variable controlling molecule definition. If 1, any
molecules (ie., molecules as defined by the prmtop) joined by a covalent bond are
fused to form a single molecule for purposes of pressure and virial-related operations;
if 0 then the old behaviour (use prmtop molecule definitions) pertains.
The default is 1; a value of 0 is not supported with forcefields using extra points.
This option was necessitated in order to efficiently parallelize model systems with
extra points. This redefinition of molecules actually allows for a more correct
treatment of molecules during pressure adjustments and should produce better results
with less strain on covalent bonds joining prmtop-defined molecules, but if
the default value is used for a NTP simulation, results will differ slightly relative
to sander if any intermolecular bonding was applied in forming the prmtop (eg.,
a cyx-cyx bridge was added between two peptides that originated in a PDB file,
with each peptide having its own "TER" card). If consistency with sander is more
important to you, and you are not using extra points, then you may want to set
no_intermolecular_bonds to 0.

Regards - Bob Duke