Re: [AMBER] Doubt about binding dissociation constant

From: Ignacio J. General <ijgeneral.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 13:56:57 -0500

Hi. Basically, you should make sure that the reference states with respect
to which you are measuring free energies are the same in the experimental
and computational studies. The usual experimental reference is 1 molar,
which is equivalent to a volume of 1661 angstroms. In that case, if you are
doing TI with the so called double-decoupling method, DDM, i.e, using
restraints so that the ligand remains in the binding site throughout the
integration, then you need to correct your binding free energy by
-KT ln (V_bs / 1661),
where V_bs is the volume of the binding site.

Or, if you are not using restraints and the ligand is free to move all over
space (the double-annihilation method, DAM), then the correction is
-KT ln( V_p / 1661),
where V_p is the volume of the simulation box in the case where you have
the complex (ligand+protein).

In any of these cases you should make sure that your integrations are well
converged.

Here are some papers that cover the foundations of this standard state
issue:

1) Gilson, M. K.; Given, J. A.; Bush, B. L.; McCammon, J. A. Biophys. J.
1997, 72, 1047–1069.
2) Boresch, S.; Tettinger, F.; Leitgeb, M.; Karplus, M. J. Phys. Chem. B
2003, 107, 9535–9551.
3) General, I. J. JCTC 2010, 6, 2520-2524.

Ignacio