[AMBER] Problem with running QM/MM - MD simulation using AM1/d-PhoT method in AMBER12

From: <vojtech.mlynsky.upol.cz>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 12:05:29 +0100 (CET)

Dear all,

I would like to mention here one strange issue that I have recently
encountered in AMBER12.

I try to run QM/MM MD simulation using recently implemented SE - AM1/d-PhoT
method (abbreviation AM1/d) as the qm_theory for the QM part of molecule.
The system is RNA-enzym (Ribozyme) and contains just NA-nucleobases, Na+
counter-ions and rectangular box of TIP3P molecules (around 30.000 atoms in
total). The QM region contains just one phosphate with the ribose-ring at
one site, methoxy group on the other and 2 nucleobases within H-bond
distance from both non-bridging oxygens of that phosphate (typically 49
atoms). The link atoms are thereby placed instead of C-C bonds (or C-N bonds
in case of nucleobases).

Problem is that my QM region suddenly 'explodes' during initial (typically
50 ps-long) heating phase (constant volume, example of script at the end) as
soon as the temperature of the system reaches ~250 K. Firstly hydrogen atoms
and them the other QM atoms just fly apart. I have also tried different
modifications of my input script, charmm parameters and charges (converting
starting pdb to charmm psf file, then backwards using chamber module), more
sequentional pre-heating with some equilibration steps and even larger QM
regions. All modifications resulted in same error during pre-heating or just
at the beginning of subsequent equilibration. Notably, initial QM
minimalization fails (SCF convergency) for the system with largest QM region
 (100 atoms).  I have also tried to heat the system up to 200 K only and
thereby it 'survises' the pre-heating phase. But during the equilibration
phase (constant pressure) same issue occurs (also suddenly, there is no hint
of something going wrong / any possible trend in both QM/Total Energies ..

I am very confused and will much appreciate any reply or suggestion.

Thanks in advance,
Vojtech

--
==============================
Department of Physical Chemistry
Palacky University Olomouc
tr. 17. listopadu 12, 779 00 Olomouc
Czech Republic
==============================
Script for heating of the system:
QM/MM MD (quick) heating of system
&cntrl
 imin=0, irest=0, ntx=1, ig=-1,
nstlim=50000, dt=0.001,
 ntpr=200, ntwx=200,
 ntb=1, cut=10.0,
 ntc=2, ntf=2,
 ntt=3, gamma_ln=5.0, tempi=50.0, temp0=300.0,
 ifqnt=1,
/
&qmmm
 qmmask=':5.129-133 | :5.148-154 | :6.155-161 | :20.617-631 | :50.1598-
1612',
 qmcharge=0,
 qm_theory='AM1/d'
 qmshake=0,