Re: [AMBER] intdiel / extdiel

From: Daniel Roe <daniel.r.roe.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 17:48:10 -0600

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Gustavo Seabra
<gustavo.seabra.gmail.com> wrote:
> So, from what I gather, the intdiel/extdiel constants in fact have *nothing to do* with the spacial arrangement of the atoms (except from the calculation of the solvent-accessible area), but just define the free energy term of bringing the whole molecule from one medium to another, is that correct?

For GB, this is correct; the dielectric terms are actually part of a
factor which has nothing to do with the spatial arrangement of the
atoms:

EGB ~ (1/e0 - 1/e) * .5 * SUM[ qiqj / fGB(rij) ]

For PB, the dielectric boundary does depend on the spatial arrangement
of the atoms.

-Dan

> Gustavo.

Daniel R. Roe, PhD