Re: [AMBER] short bonds in average pdb

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:44:31 -0400

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 5:40 AM, Mu Xia <muxiachuixue.163.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I want to get an average structure of the ligand-protein complex from the
> trajectories generated by MD. So I use the ptraj command. The input file is
> as following.
>

> trajin production1.mdcrd
> rms first mass .CA,C,N
> average a.pdb pdb
>

> When examining a.pdb in VMD, I find that the X-H (X is the heavy atom)
> bonds are abnormally short.

This makes sense. H atoms typically rotate fairly freely (they are small
and there is little steric hindrance in many instances to free rotation).
Also, for groups like CH3, the 3 hydrogens are, at least approximately,
rotationally degenerate, meaning they should have approximately the same
average location (which will be nearly on top of the heteroatom).

> My question is, how could I get a correct average structure containing
> normal bonds and coordinates?

What you got *is* a correct average structure (i.e., it is *the* average
structure). "Normal bonds and coordinates" would be something you would
find in a 'representative structure' in cluster analysis or something of
the like.

HTH,

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida