Re: [AMBER] How to express a right-handed amino acid in leap

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 16:03:04 +0200

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 2:36 PM, Changqing Yan <ycqchemical.gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> As you know the usual amino acid created in Amber is left-handed. So anyone
> knows how to create a right-handed amino acid in leap? For example, I want
> to create a right-handed phe amino acid in a peptide sequence SVRPfVDRE.
> What should I do?

The templates are right-handed. If your starting PDB has a right-handed
PHE amino acid, then it will not switch the chirality to left-handed.

If, on the other hand, you want to use the templates in tleap and include a
right-handed helix, I have a way. You need to create a new residue as a
copy of PHE and then 'reflect' it through a mirror plane (that inverts
chirality).

For instance:

dPHE = copy PHE
transform dPHE { {1 0 0} {0 1 0} {0 0 -1} }

And then use "dPHE" in place of PHE in your "sequence" command.

HTH,
Jason

P.S. -- Make sure you visualize the result to make sure you have what you
want.

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate