[AMBER] idecomp and so on....

From: André C. Stiel <andre.stiel.tuebingen.mpg.de>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2012 18:52:36 +0200

Dear Mailing List...
I have several problems getting single residue energies out of a system.
I tried around for a time with various suggestions from the web/mailing list, to no avail.
I have two basic problem:
1. I get no vdw and eel
2. the RRES/ LRES does not work
3. can I do something like GB (i come to understand I maybe need this ;-), but with 3-4 internal waters

First, problem 1.
Here is what I want to do:
My trajectory is a 227 AA protein with internal waters run in explicit solvent, with the following
.in:

&cntrl
 imin=0,
 irest=1,
 ntx=5,
 nstlim=5000000,
 dt=0.002,
 ntc=2,
 ntf=2,
 cut=8.0,
 ntb=2,
 ntp=1,
 taup=2.0,
 ntpr=100,
 ntwr=1000,
 ntwx=1000,
 ntt=3,
 gamma_ln=2.0,
 temp0=300.0,
/

>From this trajectory I want to get single residue energies. NO ligand or something.
After some suggestions I understand that I need "imin = 5" with "-y MYTRAJECTOTY.mdcrd" in the commandline.
If I try:

&cntrl
 imin = 5,
 idecomp = 1,
 maxcyc = 0,
 ntmin = 2
 ntc=1,
 ntf=1,
 ntb = 2,
 ntp=1,
 cut = 8,
 ntt=3,
 gamma_ln=2.0,
 temp0=300.0,
/
Protein
RRES 1 227
END
Nochmal
LRES 1 227
END
Printing
RES 1 227
END
END

My output is:

                  PRINT DECOMP - TOTAL ENERGIES

    resid |internal |vdw |eel |pol |sas
TDC 1 19.398 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000

>From reading I figured out, that this idecomp does not work properly wit ntb > 0 and I better should
strip my molecule of all waters and ions and do igb > 0. Correct?

So I tried the approach from /test:

#decompose energy on a per-residue basis on the trajectory
 &cntrl
      imin = 5, igb = 5, gbsa = 2,
      ntx = 1, maxcyc = 1,
      ntc = 1, ntf = 3,
      ntb = 0, ntp = 0,
      ntwe = 0, ntpr = 500, ntwx=1,
      cut = 1000.0, idecomp = 1,
 /
Residues considered as REC
RRES 1 227
END
Residues considered as LIG
LRES 1 227
END
Residues to print
RES 1 227
END
END

With a stripped molecule and .prmtop I get:

  FATAL: NATOM mismatch in coord and topology files

Is there a trick to go round this problem. I tried to produce the new - water free - .prmtop with tleap on the original .pdb
But obviously i doesnt work... but ok, I will figure out this.

Second and Third Problem can be easily explained on this basis. 2. Even with the RRES/LRES/RES from the /test file, I got:

    ----- READING GROUP 1; TITLE:
 Residues considered as REC
      Number of atoms in this group = 0
    ----- READING GROUP 2; TITLE:
 Residues considered as LIG
      Number of atoms in this group = 0
    ----- READING GROUP 3; TITLE:
 Residues to print
 GRP 3 RES 1 TO 227
      Number of atoms in this group = 3541

So LRES and RRES don´t work. Why is that.

Question 3. Some internal waters are important I guess, can I combine igb and a stripped molecule with some internal waters?

Some many questions.... thanks so much!
cheers
André