Re: [AMBER] Problem related to the parallel installation og Amber11

From: David A Case <case.biomaps.rutgers.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 22:02:43 -0400

On Mon, Oct 01, 2012, Ben Roberts wrote:

> Red Hat comes with its own package manager, not synaptic. As you say,
> it has RPM, and there may be a GUI front end that you can use if you're
> more comfortable with that.

I think(?) that you can probably use the Fedora instructions (at the Amber web
page) for RedHat as well. Essentially, you use "yum" rather that "apt-get" as
the package manager.

> If you continue having difficulties with FFTW installation on your Red
> Hat system, you may be better off trying channels geared towards Red Hat
> users and administrators, or (failing that) towards FFTW users. Here
> on the Amber list, we aren't set up to offer support for getting
> third-party packages working on third-party operating systems.

I don't agree here: FFTW is required for many things in Amber, and we try to
help users out. However, your problem is not really with FFTW, but with the
lack of MPI. Look at the end of the fftw log:

checking for MPI_Init... no
checking for MPI_Init in -lmpi... no
checking for MPI_Init in -lmpich... no
configure: error: couldn't find mpi library for --enable-mpi

Basically, you are trying to install parallel Amber without having an MPI
installation (or at least one that can be found by the configure program).
It just happens that fftw is the first thing to break.

As usual, *my* advice is to run the configure_mpich2 script in
$AMBERHOME/AmberTools/src. This will set up your MPI in a state that is
consistent with the rest of Amber, and has everything in the right place, (as
long as you put $AMBERHOME/bin in your PATH.) [I know that others on the list
often/always tell people to use a package manager to get MPI, but that seems to
have a catch-22 for people who don't know how to find the package manager on
their system.]

....dac