Re: [AMBER] IMIN=5 does not work with IDECOMP>0 under NTB=1?

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 23:27:03 -0400

It is not obvious to me that per-residue (or pairwise per-residue) energy
contributions are accumulated in the periodic electrostatic routines (I
know they work for GB). If your energies are coming out to be zero, my
guess is that these non-bonded terms are not accumulated for ntb>0.

Another thing to be wary of is that decomposition results for PME would be
*completely* arbitrary with respect to your cutoff. And unlike GB
calculations, you cannot use an 'infinite' cutoff.

In PME, the direct and reciprocal space terms are interdependent.
 Specifically, the width of the neutralizing Gaussian counterion dictates
how long-range the direct space portion of the calculation is (and,
ultimately, how large your cutoff should be) and how many terms to include
in your reciprocal space sum (the shorter the cutoff, the narrower the
Gaussians, the shorter-range the direct space term is and the more terms
that are in the reciprocal space sum).

While the direct-space sum is pairwise decomposable, the reciprocal space
part (computed using an FFT) is definitely not, and Amber has no way to
even approximately decompose it.

HTH,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,