Re: [AMBER] Amber 12: CalcError in mmpbsa_py_energy and sander

From: Ray Luo, Ph.D. <ray.luo.uci.edu>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 09:55:12 -0700

Just to commend on this thread. The error message on the missing radii
is not due to a bug.

As stated in the manual, PBSA automatically reassigns prmtop radii
only for GAFF atoms with lower case atom types when radiopt=1. This is
not done for proteins or other macromolecules with upper case atom
types. Basically, the program does not pretend it knows anything about
your specific residue and atom types as far as solvation energy
calculation is concerned.

As has been discussed, it has become unrealistic to rely the hardcoded
routine in pb_aaradi() to keep track of all the new force fields and
new residues from the recent releases. Eventually, the radius
assignment will be moved to LEAP and leave it to the force field
people to decide. For now, you'll have to turn on radiopt=0 to use the
modified Bondi radii or other simpler rule-based radii. The other
option is to support pdb-type pqr files and let the users to hack the
file themselves. I know this is dangerous, but it gives people
choices.

Ray