Re: [AMBER] internal dielectric constant in MMPBSA

From: Qiong Zhang <qiong.zhang.qzh.gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 10:36:40 -0400

Hi Jason,
Thanks for the reply.
I read the paper on J. Chem. Inf. Model. 2011, 51, 69–82. It shows how
dielectric constant affects the binding free energy calculated by MMPBSA.
When I looked closely at their data (Table S2) the gas-phase electrostatic
interactions (EEL) are also scaled by solute dielectric constant.
Indi=1
    deltaEEL deltaEPB
-133.38±1.13 193.46±0.23
Indi=2
    deltaEEL deltaEPB
-66.69±0.56 93.87±0.16

I found in this thread http://archive.ambermd.org/201106/0170.html, Prof.
Luo has commented that:
"In general, a higher dielectric constant should reduce the contribution of
electrostatic interactions (both Coulombic and solvation electrostatic,
i.e. PB/GB) in the final binding free energies. "

"Note that the division of what constitutes 'EPB' and 'EEL' is rather
arbitrary and artificial (they are calculated together and decomposed
after-the-fact, I think)".
I thought they are calculated separately. As far as I understood, for "EEL"
part, it is calculated directly by Coulombic law; while for 'EPB' is
calculated by solving the PB equations. So for "EEL" part, it should be
divided by the dielectric constant when solute dielectric constant is not
equal 1. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Whether gas-phase electrostatic interactions should be scaled by the solute
dielectric constant or not if one would like to see how the dielectric
constant affects the binding free energy?

Please help to shed more lights on it. Thanks!
Best,
Qiong