[AMBER] GBIS and SASA

From: Aron Broom <broomsday.gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:03:29 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I've got a question about the SASA term with GBIS simulations.

So I understand that in a GBIS simulation without SASA, the lack of
potential VDW interactions between water and say a hydrophobic sidechain,
means that the sidechain will tend to favour interacting with the protein,
thereby giving a partial hydrophobic effect. Moreover, when one adds in
the SASA term, the energy gradients tend to favour burial of exposed
surfaces, ideally, recapitulating in full the hydrophobic effect.

What I don't understand is, in my reading of the articles presenting these
methods, I don't see anything about the polarity of the atoms being taken
into account for this SASA term. To me, this would suggest that a solvent
accessible polar group is just as unfavourable as a similarly exposed
hydrophobic group as far as SASA is concerned. Furthermore, because
enthalpic interactions between polar groups are stronger than between
hydrophobic groups, this suggests that if one ran a GBIS + SASA simulation
of a protein for long enough, you'd end up with a "native state" in which
the polar groups were all buried in the core. This might take quite some
time, and I know that there are some studies published where the structures
are stable after 50ns, which is also what I see, but as one goes beyond
100ns, I'm seeing signs that things might break down.

There must be something critical I'm missing here?

Thanks,

~Aron

--
Aron Broom M.Sc