Re: [AMBER] Fwd: Protein aggregation energy calculation

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2012 21:50:25 -0400

Hello,

There are two main things that MM/PBSA can calculate for you. You can get
binding free energies (complex, receptor, ligand -- like you pointed out)
or you can do so-called stability calculations in which there is only one
system (designated as the 'complex' in MMPBSA.py, but you don't have a
receptor or ligand).

Stability calculations reveal the relative stabilities of (at least) two
different structures/conformations.

Ultimately, a single point energy of a single structure is meaningless in
computational chemistry, since the 'zero' energy is arbitrarily chosen for
convenience. The only thing that has meaning (i.e., the only thing
measurable/observable in the lab) is a change in energy. Stability
calculations gives you the difference in (free) energy of different
conformations.

You can look at this paper for a good overview of the method:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/minf.201100135

HTH,
Jason

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Binwu Zhao <bzhao.ncsu.edu> wrote:

> [...]

Quantum Theory Project,
University of Florida
Ph.D. Candidate
352-392-4032