Re: [AMBER] velocities and irest=0 in Amber 11/12

From: Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2012 14:13:25 +0200

Thanks for your insights, Jason.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I think the main definition of a
restart simulation (irest=1) exactly is that initial velocities are
taken from an input file and never ever get generated randomly. As a
consequence, an important shared property of all other simulations
(irest=0) should be that initial velocities are *always* assigned randomly.

If this argumentation is correct, irest=0 must ensure that old
velocities, if provided, are not used, independent on other parameters.
If there is an ambiguity, some collision with any other parameter, an
error must be printed and the program must quit.

Hence, I vote for the irest behavior being implemented as currently
documented in the AT12 manual. All the irest/ntx combinations should be
checked for consistency.

Jan-Philip

On 07/04/2012 08:52 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
> So a little update here. I agree that in both sander and pmemd random
> velocities are only assigned if ntx is 1 or 2 (there is nothing about
> irest). In my opinion this is unexpected behavior. As I recall, there was
> a discussion on the developer list when I was trying to set smarter
> defaults (e.g., NTB is now set to 0 by default when igb != 0, 1 when igb==0
> and ntp==0, and 2 when ntp != 0, so that it effectively never needs to be
> set by hand, and CUT is 8 for periodic simulations and 999 for non-periodic
> simulations).
>
> I proposed setting irest=1 when ntx=5/7 (and irest=0 when ntx=1/2) since
> those two went together, but it was shot down when someone pointed out that
> velocities *could be* in the inpcrd file even if you don't want to use
> them, and so that combo made sense sometimes. Rightfully so, in which
> case, I assumed that was the behavior and so documented it in the manual.
>
> Checking the code just now, the velocity setting routine is only called if
> ntx < 3 -- it has nothing at all to do with irest. I have a simple patch
> that fixes the behavior to reflect what the manual dictates. I'll let some
> of the more experienced developers weigh in here on what they think should
> be done (i.e., retain the behavior we've had forever and publish a manual
> errata or switch to the behavior that the new manual v. 12 claims).
>
> After looking through the code a little, I'm quite sure that setting ntx=1
> will get the behavior you want...
>
> HTH,
> Jason
>
> On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Jan-Philip Gehrcke <jgehrcke.googlemail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> On 07/04/2012 06:46 PM, Jan-Philip Gehrcke wrote:
>>> Jason,
>>>
>>> do you think that it is fine to read an MD restart file (containing
>>> coordinates, velocities and periodic box information) with ntx=1 if one
>>> is only interested in coordinates and box information? As I said, I did
>>> exactly this and the first 5 frames of the subsequent simulation looked
>>> good to me. Did I just lose the periodic boundary conditions by doing so
>>> (of course I have set ntb=1 also in the subsequent simulation)?
>>>

>> In order to make it easier to answer this, I provide here the
>> corresponding part of the mdout file:
>>

>>> &cntrl
>>> ntx = 1,
>>> irest = 0,
>>> ntb = 1,
>>> cut = 8.0,
>>> ntc = 2,
>>> ntf = 2,
>>> tempi = 300.0,
>>> temp0 = 300.0,
>>> ntt = 1,
>>> tautp = 10.0,
>>> nstlim = 2000000,
>>> dt = 0.002,
>>> ntpr = 500, ntwx = 500, ntwr = 10000,
>>> ioutfm = 1,