Re: [AMBER] AMBER Error: unable to achieve consistency

From: Jodi Ann Hadden <jodih.uga.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 14:06:08 +0000

Hi Asma,

Perhaps there is an easier or more straightforward way of accomplishing this, but the following protocol was just sort of autopilot for me from building drug molecule structures before:

First, as your molecule consisted of only one residue, I had to open the PDB file in the vi editor and make sure all the atoms in that residue had unique names. All of your carbons had the name "C", so I renamed them C1, C2, C3, etc. As there were two hydrogens, both named "H", I renamed them H1, H2. You get the idea. If your molecule had consisted of more than one residue, you could have a C1 in each, but there just can never be two atoms with the same name in the same residue in order to load it into leap.

I wanted to make manual edits to your structure, so I loaded it into xleap, not tleap. If you just want to write another PDB file back out, you don't have to load in any force field files or anything. Just run xleap, and then load your PDB file with unique atom names into it:

x = loadpdb ligand.pdb
edit x

The edit command will bring up a GUI window where you can do some point-and-click editing. Make sure you don't have numberlock on, because this often interferes with using the GUI.

First I had to rebond all your atoms -- I did this by looking at your structure in VMD to compare and drawing all the bonds between atoms back in using xleap's "Draw" tool found in the Manipulation section along the top of the window. There is maybe an easier way to do this step, but I was used to "drawing" drug molecules almost entirely from scratch, so this was just the approach I used. Once all the bonds are reestablished, there is an option under the "Unit" menu to add hydrogens. That will fill up any remaining open valence positions with hydrogens, so you have to make sure you draw in all the other bonds you want first. If you also want to relax the structure, you can go back to the "Select" option under Manipulation, highlight your molecule, and then choose "Relax selection" from the "Edit" menu. This just cleans up the geometry a bit. Then go back to the first xleap window where you entered your text commands and save a new PDB file:

savepdb x ligand_H.pdb
quit

There you go! That's all I did to generate the structure I sent you.

Jodi