Re: [AMBER] Ion clumping in large protein-RNA systems

From: Kamali Sripathi <ksripath.umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 14:51:02 -0400

Thanks a lot, Robin; I'll give that a try.

Dr. Cheatham, I actually had a follow-up question for you. I've been using
your molarity.perl script to calculate the number of ions I'd need for a
certain box size. My problem is that I solvate after adding ions, so that
the box size is always a bit off. For example, I calculated by hand (before
I had found the script) that I needed 111 molecules of KCl to reach a
concentration of 0.15 M. Just to double-check, I plugged in my box
dimensions after adding these 111 molecules and solvated my system. The
script then told me that I'd need 128 molecules. I started over, and added
128 molecules to my system and solvated. As another double-check, I plugged
in the parameters of this box into the molarity.perl script, which told me
that I now needed 131 molecules. I know the best way to do this would be to
solvate my system and use addions2 to add molecules after solvation.
However (as I think I mentioned), I tried this, and my system is so big
that Leap crashed. Do you have any suggestions for how I might get my
desired salt concentration?

I have one final question: The new ion parameters I tried (Joung and
Cheatham) seemed to fix the clumping problem; however it seems for some
reason that the ions are only placed around 3 of four domains of the
protein. I'm trying Dr. Cheatham's approach of adding ions one by one to
see if this results in a better placement of ions, but I was wondering if
anybody else has any other suggestions?

Thank you all and have a great weekend,

Kamali