Re: [AMBER] GPU kernel error

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 10:02:44 -0700

Hi Dmitry,

> Are you aware about cooling system that can be installed on M2090 or
> replace its original radiators? My guess is to use GTX580's one, or
> just to attach a fan over radiators. Could you give a piece of advice
> about possible ways out?

Unfortunately anything you do is going to be a hack job. I have tried a few
things but unfortunately AMBER seriously stresses the GPU so the cooling has
to be top notch. They are really designed to be in a dedicated cooling
tunnel with high velocity fans forcing air through. A GTX580 heatsink and
fan would probably work since they are higher wattage parts than the M2090s
but that assumes the bolts line up ok. Plus if you have a working GTX580
you'll get better performance using that instead of the M2090.

An option that might work would be, if you have the plastic cover for the
heatsink that some M2090s have, or you can cover the heatsink in some way to
make a tunnel for the air you could attach one of the Snail shaped fans (the
type Dell sometimes uses for it's CPUs) such that it forces air directly
down the GPU and it gets exhausted out of the machine. The critical thing is
that it is no good to just cool this like a CPU by blowing air over it, they
are designed to have air from the case blowing down the length of the
heatsink and venting out the back of the machine. If you can figure a way to
do this it will probably work.

Good luck.

Ps. Other option would be a water cooler like this if you can get it to fit:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWYE4Q/ref=as_li_tf_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=free
lydownloa-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004LWYE4Q

All the best
Ross

/\
\/