Re: [AMBER] The VDWAALS is huge in MMPBSA calculation.

From: Jason Swails <jason.swails.gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 09:06:41 -0400

In explicit solvent, the counterions are important. In principle, only
net-neutral cells have convergent energies in the Ewald summation, and
there has been work by the Brooks group IIRC, that there can be pressure
artifacts for applying a net neutralizing plasma (the approach normally
taken when running charged unit cells) in PME. While there's a reasonable
correction, I don't think it's implemented in Amber.

In any case, people use counterions in their original simulations all the
time, and then just strip them before performing MMPBSA analysis. You can
use ante-MMPBSA.py to strip out the solvent and ions from your original
topology file to generate a set of topology files compatible with
MMPBSA.py. Just make sure you strip out all of the waters and ions in both
ante-MMPBSA.py (when creating the prmtops) and MMPBSA.py (when creating the
trajectories).

HTH,
Jason

Quantum Theory Project,