[AMBER] Value of internal dielectric constant ? for per residue decomposition free energy calculation using MMGBSA method

From: Jignesh Patel <jbp087.gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:43:49 +0530

Hi,

I have performed MD simulations of CCR2 with membrane (POPC). I have also
estimated per residue decomposition free energy using MM/GBSA method by
perl script. Residues which shows hydrophobic and hydrogen bond
interactions with ligand shows good decomposition free energy (about -8 to
-2 kcal/mol). But, glutamic acid which shows ionic interaction with the
quaternary nitrogen of ligand gives unfavorable decomposition free energy
(about 8 kcal/mol). Here I kept external and internal dielectric constant
values 80 and 1 respectively. Then, internal dielectric constant was
changed to 10 which gave decomposition free energy of glutamic acid about
-2.5kcal/mol.

Can anyone tell me what values should I use for internal dielectric
constant so I can get reasonable decomposition free energies for residues
showing both hydrophobic and ionic interactions?

Thanks in advance.

With regards,
Jignesh