Re: [AMBER] QM/MM periodic boundary conditions in Amber

From: Ross Walker <ross.rosswalker.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2012 14:47:34 -0700

Hi Ivan,

> How does Amber treat QM/MM MD with periodic boundary conditions?
> Specifically, who is the QM system replicated and its contribution
> included into the total energy? I'll appreciate if you point me to the
> literature

For semi-empirical QM/MM calculations yes the periodic boundaries are
included via a QM compatible version of the PME procedure. Please see:

Walker, R.C., Crowley, M.F., Case, D.A., "The Implementation of a Fast and
Accurate QM/MM Potential Method in AMBER." J. Comp. Chem. 2008, 29,
1019-1031.

http://www.wmd-lab.org/papers/JCompChem_2008_29_1019-1031_Amber_QMMM_Paper.p
df

For ab initio QM/MM calculations via the EXTERN interface periodic
boundaries are supported but the QM/MM interaction is truncated at a cut
off.

All the best
Ross

/\