[AMBER] ptraj behaves differently on Mac and Linux

From: Benjamin Stauch <ben.ebi.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 10:23:33 +0100

  Dear all,

having recently installed the latest versions of AmberTools12, including
all auto-updates as of June 6th 2012, locally on a Mac and on our linux
farm I discovered ptraj behaves differently on both systems when trying
to compute a time auto-correlation function:

on my Mac, the following script would run through generating the
expected output,

> ptraj my.psf my.script

with my.script as

trajin my.dcd
vector v0 .1 corr .2 order 2
analyze timecorr vec1 v0 tstep 1.0 tcorr 1000.0 out my.out

while under linux it failed with the following and at that time cryptic
warning,

WARNING in ptraj(), analyze timecorr: different attributes for vec1 and
vec2, ignoring command

obviously, this caused me some major headache since the input files were
100% identical, and also the ptraj versions the same, freshly compiled
(Version: "AMBER 12.0 integrated" (4/2012)).

Luckily the advise given at http://archive.ambermd.org/201107/0355.html
was hinting at how to fix the problem: the linux version was expecting a
"cross-correlation" kind of definition of the auto-correlation I wanted
to compute,

analyze timecorr vec1 v0 vec2 v0 tstep 1.0 tcorr 25000.0 dplr out my.out

instead of

analyze timecorr vec1 v0 tstep 1.0 tcorr 25000.0 dplr out my.out

gave me the desired output, while the Mac version seemed to be less
picky about the syntax.
This looks a bit suspicious to me ... so I hope this report might be of
value to some.

cheers
Ben